Transferring Number Plates from One Car to Another

Cars waiting in a queue

Transferring a UK registration from one car to another is indeed possible. So, for those of you who want to keep ownership of your cherished personalised number plate when changing cars, read on to find out just how you can do it.

How to Transfer A UK Number Plate

In the UK, the vehicle registration process is overseen by the DVLA. To get your number plate transferred, you’ll need to fill out a V317 form.

First Page of a V317 Form

What is a V317 Form?

A V317 form is a document that allows you to transfer a registration from one vehicle to another, or to retain a registration for future use (V778). Issued by the DVLA, the application form provides helpful guidance and information on where to send it.

How Do I Fill it Out?

To fill out a V317 form you can either:

If you are mailing the form, make sure you include a cheque for £80 payable to ‘DVLA’ for the transfer fee. Once the DVLA is happy with everything you have submitted, they will begin the transfer process.

As mentioned, there are two scenarios where you would use this form:

  1. Transferring an old number plate to a new car
  2. Retaining a number plate for up to 10 years without affixing it to a car

What Information Does the Form Require?

To fill out a V317 form, you will need the add the following:

  • Name and address
  • Registrations of both vehicles
  • Make of both vehicles
  • Model of both vehicles
  • VIN/chassis numbers of both vehicles
  • Contact details in case there are any issues arising from the transfer
  • Signatures from both vehicle owners to show they consent to the transfer

What Else Do I Need to Do?

Alongside your V317 form, you will need to send the V5C registration certificates for both vehicles to the DVLA.

If you do not yet own a full V5C for your new vehicle, then you will need to submit a completed V5C/2 New Keeper’s Supplement with a completed V62 form.

Once the transfer has all gone through, remember to notify your insurance company about it.

When Should I Fill Out a V317 Form?

The form should be filled out and submitted to the DVLA well in advance of selling your car. If you’ve sold your car with the registration still showing on the V5C logbook, then we’re sorry to say that you no longer own it.

How Much Does It Cost?

It costs £80 to transfer your registration with the DVLA (if posting your form, remember to include a cheque for £80 payable to ‘DVLA’).

What Are the Criteria for Transferring My Registration?

To transfer your registration to another vehicle, you will need to meet the following criteria:

  • The original vehicle and the vehicle you are transferring the registration over to must both have either:
    1. Current MOT and road tax
    2. Expired MOT and road tax
    3. Expired MOT and expired road tax (less than six months)
    4. Been taxed or had a SORN in place continuously for the last 5 years
  • Both vehicles must have had an MOT at least once if they are over 3 years old. Essentially, your vehicle must be capable of passing a roadworthiness test.
  • The DVLA must be able to inspect the vehicle when needed.
  • You are not allowed to use a registration to make a car appear newer than it actually is. This means you can’t put a 68 series registration on a 51 registration car. However, you are free to put an older registration on a newer car.
  • You cannot transfer a number plate to a Q registered vehicle.

How Long Does It Take to Transfer a Number Plate?

The DVLA states that the amount of time it takes to transfer a registration is between 4 – 6 weeks. This can sometimes take longer during busier periods, although we’ve personally seen it take less time.

Transferring to a Brand-New Vehicle

If you would like to transfer a number plate you currently own to a brand-new vehicle, you can do this very easily and it should be covered by your car dealership.

What Happens to My Vehicle Once Its Number Plate Has Been Removed?

Once you have removed a registration from a vehicle, it will be issued with an age-related replacement registration mark. This will most likely be the car’s previous registration prior to the personalised replacement.

The DVLA will send you new V5C logbooks for both vehicles that show their new registrations.

Avoid the Hassle

If you are still confused, or just don’t have the time or patience to go through with all of this, then TopReg’s Transfer Management services are here for you.

We carry out the legal transfer and assign your new registration to your vehicle, or onto a retention certificate entirely on your behalf. It’s incredibly easy and all you need to do is order your new registration, select the management service you require, and we’ll take care of the paperwork for you.

Through our service, we will ensure that the relevant documentation is submitted to the DVLA, as well as make sure the entire process runs as smoothly and quickly as possible.